Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Another day...

Not feeling so great today. Last night was a disaster. I tried to ink for about an hour, but it was coming out horrible. I think I am biting off far more than I can chew.

I am a penciler. That is my strength. Unfortunately, I am not very strong at inking. I don't think I can wing it with rough layouts and finish with inking. I still want to give it a shot, but I think I will have to pretty much do full pencils before putting ink to paper, which will take more time. I guess I don't have to be a picky about erasing erroneous lines until after the inking is done, which will save some time, but still, this is a blow to the ego.

I just need to sit down, buckle down, and draw. Last night, I didn't get home until close to 8pm, because of my full time job obligations. Not really an excuse, but between eating dinner, spending time with family, showering, shaving, doing some chores, the art gets pushed way down the line; in this case, until past 10pm.

I wish I could afford to hire an inker to take over that responsibility, but with my making $60 per page, well, I am pretty sure my publisher won't be willing to pay someone else to ink it, so I'd have to hire someone on my own, and take money out of my own fee (which isn't really an option). So, I'm stuck with myself. I'll just have to accept that I'll have a few crappily inked pages to get through before I start to improve. (but man, it sure would make my life easier).

I also have to remember that ALL artists start with the same demoralization. As long as I keep with it, I'll improve. I mean, what did I expect? I literally took years off of drawing and art. I'm lucky I still remember how to hold a pencil, let alone someone willing to pay me to draw.

I have to have faith in the process. Keep drawing. Keep improving. The artwork doesn't have to be a Rembrant or Picasso; just get paid and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment