Friday, July 1, 2011

DC's New 52

DC Comics announced last month that, this Fall, they will be relaunching their entire line of comics books; there will be 52 new titles (they love the whole 52 thing), each starting with issue # 1. A collector's dream. A great jumping on point for new readers. But, alternatively, a great jumping OFF point for current buyers. It's funny, that I think more new people who haven't purchased a comic book in ten years will likely be the majority, but the faithful that have been buying for those said ten years will quite possibly jump off the wagon and move on. Funny.

Comic book collectors, or the popular term "Fanboys" or "Fangirls", just love to complain about comic books. In fact, I heard of a major protest, picket line and all, happening this year at the San Diego Comic Convention, protesting DC's relaunching event. Again, funny.

I have always been a huge fan of comics. But, I've evolved somewhat, I guess. I've always been more of a fan of the creator's, the artists and writers, than the characters represented therein. Now that I am actually involved in creating a comic book, and seemingly, I really hope, a new "comic book" universe, I am no longer a fan, per se, but an actual pro working in the industry. Which, possiblily, if all goes well, could lead to future work with the larger comic book publishers (Marvel or DC). Maybe I am being very naive, but I've always kind of known, hey, if SOMEONE gives me a shot at creating a comic, I will not let them down, and the train will keep on going. The momentum will likely not stop, so as long as I have work to produce.

Anyway, my point. My point of all the above goobley gook, DC and Marvel have always been in direct, somewhat fierce competetion with each other. There have been times when they've done books together, and collaborated, but lately, it's gotten to be a little more cutthroat (in my opinion). DC is making a huge push to be the premier comic book company, and outdistance Marvel. And, it could quite possibily happen.

DC is also making a huge push for digitial distribution. And for the first time ever in the industry, they will be offering brand new issues for digital sale through their website on the same day as the actual comic book at stores. So, if digital sales begin to improve, and especially if digital sales begin to overtake those of the comic book stores themselves, this could lead to just 100% digital distribution, and comic book stores will be left with 1/2 their sales just gone.

DC recently made another comment about how those that do not have comic book stores near them, or can't get to them for one reason or another to get their weekly fix of new comics, can simply log on to their website and buy the digital copy. Now, I think comic book stores RELY on people to drive through bad weather, 20 miles, after work to buy their comics. If these stores, again, relied on those that live within 5 miles of their store as their sole customers, again, they would close. Man, what a fragile industry.

So where does that leave the small publishers? Image, Dark Horse, Boom, IDW, they pretty much follow in the dust trails of Marvel and DC, because without the "big two", there would be no comic book stores. If DC or Marvel suddenly decided to either go 100% digital with their output, or stop publishing altogether, then the other publishers would have to follow suit, because comic book stores would cease to exist. They could not stay open. From a business standpoint, well, the comic book store owners must have a TREMENDOUS amount of faith in Marvel and DC, to stand by them and make sure they are taken care of. I just have my doubts that they will stand by them, especially since the larger parent owned corporations have taken a notice of comic books since Hollywood has invested in the brand and characters.

I just think, in the 21st century, business will not take care of it's own anymore. A little cynical, I know, but with a pretty bad economy, and with most businesses just trying to survive, can they afford to be nice to a smaller sub-industry, and give them what they want? Maybe it's always been that way. I don't know. I've only been a working adult for 7 years or so. I don't know.

I say this because Marvel and DC are the ONLY reason comic book stores still exist in America. I believe it is only a matter of time before either one stops publishing comic books, and goes digital.

So, small publishers would have to either close down, or also go 100% digital. Comic book newstands at your 7-Elevens and Safeway and AMPs are gone the way of the dinosaur. Sure, some are still around, but the vast, vast majority do not carry a comic book rack. So, you certainly can't rely on selling your products in those outlets.

I think I successfully lost complete track of what my point was. Let's just call all of that venting, and be done with it.

:)

Maybe my point is that the comic book industry is very fragile. It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment